Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Library page(s) 1, 2, 3  Next

Fictional Role Models     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashlie A.
32, North Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 3:18 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

This is kind of going in a new direction with the "fictional crushes" thread. Instead of talking about crushes, who are some characters that you especially admire and look up to. Imagine them as older siblings or mentors. Who would you want to "be?" They don't necessarily have to be characters of your own gender either, although that's what I originally had in mind. Both male and female characters can have traits that you admire.

Lock
37, Ft. Lewis, WA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 11:10 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Ashlie A. wrote:
This is kind of going in a new direction with the "fictional crushes" thread. Instead of talking about crushes, who are some characters that you especially admire and look up to. Imagine them as older siblings or mentors. Who would you want to "be?" They don't necessarily have to be characters of your own gender either, although that's what I originally had in mind. Both male and female characters can have traits that you admire.

King Leonidas from 300. John Locke from Lost. Kenpachi from Bleach (if anyone watches anime), and Qui-Gon Jinn from Phantom Menace.

Last edited by Lock on Wed Dec 24, 08 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danae Ashley
34, Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 11:45 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I wish I were like Agnes in David Copperfield -- calm, steady, kind, unselfish, and very wise.

Another character I am so impressed by is Jean Valjean in Les Miserables.

Joe Coupal
32, Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 08 2:13 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Ender Wiggin (Ender's Game)
Ben Holiday (Magical Kingdom Sold)
L (Death Note)
Jack (Lord of the Flies)
Gwalchmai ap Lot (Hawk of May)
Bard the Bowman (The Hobbit)

Mr.X (Heath Harper)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 08 2:43 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Miles Teg and Leto Atredies the 1st from Dune
Bean from Ender's Saga
Drizzt Do'urden from various Forgotten Realms novels
Elend Venture from Mystborn

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I thought of off hand.

Ashlie A.
32, North Texas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 08 3:27 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Here's my list so far.

Elaine from Eragon by Christopher Paolini (she's a minor character but I've always liked her for some reason. In my mind at least she's such a strong, serene woman, and a wonderful wife and mother.)

Mrs. March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Beauty from Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

Kes from Star Trek Voyager (so calm, sweet, and wise)

Chakotay also from Voyager (the only male character I've come up with so far)

shawnC
40, Halfway from Austin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 08 11:03 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Because of his honorable traits and simple purity, Natty Bumpo from James Fenimore Cooper ranks pretty high.

Then some of George MacDonald's characters that exhibit similar charactersistics: Robert Falconer and Malcolm McPhail are the best! True gentlemen.

I also enjoyed Chesterton's "Thursday" from The Man Who Was Thursday. Good authors always show a character's imperfections--while Thursday wasn't perfect, he was creative and persevering.

Drew Boon (WBE)
33, Carrollton, GA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 08 4:58 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

My fictional heroes definitely include most of GA Henty's main characters.

The bishop in Les Miserables.

There were certainly more growing up, but my mom has thrown away or sold most of the books containing those heroes (something I wish she hadn't done and I never plan to do), and since I can't remember them off the top of my head, that completes my list.

Aimee Nicole
32, Missouri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 08 9:41 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

shawnC wrote:
Because of his honorable traits and simple purity, Natty Bumpo from James Fenimore Cooper ranks pretty high.

Then some of George MacDonald's characters that exhibit similar charactersistics: Robert Falconer and Malcolm McPhail are the best! True gentlemen.

I also enjoyed Chesterton's "Thursday" from The Man Who Was Thursday. Good authors always show a character's imperfections--while Thursday wasn't perfect, he was creative and persevering.

I love your picks! I relly wish I could be like Malcolm and could be as much of a lady as he is a gentleman.

shawnC
40, Halfway from Austin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 08 11:09 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Drew Boon wrote:
My fictional heroes definitely include most of GA Henty's main characters.

I know Henty's protagonists got kind of repetitive but is there one you would pick out as the best? I think Amuba and Chebron from The Cat of Bubastes were ones I most identified w/.

Drew Boon (WBE)
33, Carrollton, GA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 08 9:48 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

If I was going to pick one, it would likely be Jack from Facing Death.

Mary Sue
29, California

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 08 2:08 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

cool thread Smile

For me, Aragorn and Gandalf from Lord of the Rings,
Jean Valjean from Les Miserables
Harriet from the Lord Peter books

Julz
33, Casper, WY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 08 7:02 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

ELSIE DINSMORE!!!!!

Mr.X (Heath Harper)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 08 11:28 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I forgot my favorite fictional hero of all time:

Hector from the Iliad. Odysseus has some admirable qualities as well, but even he pales in comparison to The Tamer of Horses.

Rabelais

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 08 12:18 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Most of the books I read tend to have male protagonists or are written by guys so this just happens naturally.

"Star" from Drop City, Holden Caulfield from The Catcher In The Rye, Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451, Will from You Shall Know Our Velocity, and Sal Paradise from On The Road.

I think it has most everything to do with the traveling and actually doing what is it they desire. I don't know. I have wanderlust and yearn to be more assertive and less shy (excluding Guy Montag); these guys (and girl) accomplish that in some form.

Last edited by Rabelais on Wed Dec 31, 08 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
HSA News
The National Reunion in 2015... ?

2014 Reunion Discussion Forum
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA