Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> University/College Students & Faculty Discussion

better college networking at HSA -- input wanted!     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 06 10:48 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

So a few of us were kicking around ideas for improving the forums and we spent specific time discussing ways to improve networking for HSA college students. Here are excerpts from that discussion:

Quote:
Do you think it's possible to create a database of colleges that are currently represented here to make it easier to network with each other? And perhaps we could find a representative for each of the colleges to help new students there or to answer questions for those considering that particular university? ... so perhaps a database of states rather than universities? I haven't really thought this one through yet, just tossing the idea out...

Quote:
Perhaps we could develop it out into a whole HSA University Index or maybe HSA University Network type thing that would give each university a group (like our current groups - but better) and maybe give them the ability to send mass e-mails to their members (about meeting notifications, campus events and such) and list that special "group membership" show up on their profile under "School & Universities" or something...

My thinking is that we could use that to support on-campus student Homeschool Alumni Student organizations.

We could make it nice enough that each campus could use it as their campus organization's home page. We could even give 'em a special url like www.homeschoolalumni.org/missouristate or whatever their campus was called. I think on-campus student organization are a great thing so I'd like to do anything I can to help support them.

This has not happened yet... it's just a set of hazy ideas. Are they ideas that you all would like to see come to fruition? Do you have better ideas? Would you like to help in any so far undetermined way, shape, or form? If you volunteer, it may be a while before there's a specific job for you, but you'll probably be needed all the same. Smile

You can either post ideas or comments here, or pm me... or do both. Please don't feel concerned if you don't here back right away. You know how time consuming homework is. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your input!
- Nicole

Liberty
37, T town

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 06 6:44 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I think a community network would be perhaps very beneficial...

One other thing I am thinking of would be sort of FAQ for college. I've noticed that people often post similar questions in the foyer/roundtable about college "issues" to get advice. It might be interesting to have some of these potential "Homeschool Issues" documented in an FAQ, which could outline some problems or obstacles and possible solutions students could employ. I know that would've been helpful to me! It could also detail options such as CLEPS, and maybe answer questions like "How Important are the standardized Entrance Exams" to college? (my family made the mistake of assuming low importance- boy were we wrong on that!) etc. etc.

Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 06 8:06 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

oh, a FAQ is a *very* good idea! We could both garner the previous posts asking questions and ask for any more questions that people have...

Liberty
37, T town

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 06 3:20 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I'm very happy to help work on it, but I'll probably be slow-moving as I'm staying pretty busy with classes (as I'm sure you are!). Glad to see that you think it'd be helpful though!

Nicole wrote:
oh, a FAQ is a *very* good idea! We could both garner the previous posts asking questions and ask for any more questions that people have...

Nicole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 06 9:42 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

y'know, I think I phrased that poorly. No, wait, I know I did. Smile I'm sure we'll need help later, but I was not asking you to go start culling posts right now looking for suitable material. I meant that we could garner previous posts AND ask if there are any other questions - when it's time.

Liberty
37, T town

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 06 8:52 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Oh, gosh! No, no... I DEFINITELY want to help... Very Happy I just have to move slowly on such things... I tend to overcommit, Confused so I have to force myself to be honest about how much I can accomplish (it's never enough! lol).
Good deal Wink I'm in!

Nicole wrote:
y'know, I think I phrased that poorly. No, wait, I know I did. Smile I'm sure we'll need help later, but I was not asking you to go start culling posts right now looking for suitable material. I meant that we could garner previous posts AND ask if there are any other questions - when it's time.

Spaz
43, Oklahoma State Prison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 5:59 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Hey how do I leave the group?

jennibean
33, SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 07 11:18 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

i would love to have some sort of organizational tool for HSA members who are in college... the ideas you've suggested sound great! i don't claim to know how many people from each college or university would be in each subgroup, but networking, esp. in college communities is always a good idea, i think.

great Idea !!

Stephanie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 07 3:27 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

The ideas suggested here sounds great! It would be nice to see a way that students from the same colleges could locate one another. I like the idea of a FAQ section too!

If the time comes when something like this is being developed, I'd love to help!

HSA News
The National Reunion in 2015... ?

2014 Reunion Discussion Forum
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> University/College Students & Faculty Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

About   |   shop4HSA   |   Guidelines   |   Keep HSA Safe   |   Help

Hosted by Arrowtech Hosting
Privacy Statement   |   © 2005-2013 Homeschool ALUMNI